It seems that during this time of the year, everyone has some complaint about the weather. None of us, no matter how hard we try to embrace it, like winter. Take me for example. I’ve tried to embrace winter by trying what might seem like enjoyable outdoor activities. I’ve tried speed skating. Speed skating = numb bum. I’ve also tried skiing. Skiing = that nasty feeling of being sweaty and freezing cold at the same time.
While we all seem to be retreating into our homes in a state of half-hibernation, biding our time until the temperature rises to a more bearable degree, I’ve decided to put together a little list of things we can all use as a form of escapism from winter.
1. READ – It seems simple enough and while I read all year long, I feel fairly guilt-free for spending almost an entire Sunday afternoon lying on my couch reading. Escaping into the plot of a good book makes winter temporarily go away!
2. DRINKING AT A PUB – It warms you up and if you can find a pub with a little fireplace in it, even better! Cozying up with friends around one of those little wooden tables that realistically only seems to seat one and sharing a pint is, in my opinion, a very constructive way of escaping winter.
3. MAKING A MIXED CD – A timeless classic that is appreciated by all. While discovering new music and going through an extensive selection process not only are you in the process of escaping winter but create a concrete emergency escapist CD. When you are maneuvering your car through unplowed roads and using up an entire bottle of windshield washer fluid just to go to the grocery store, you just pop that baby in and *poof*, winter disappears.
4. STARBUCKS – If any of you read my “Ode to a Grande Non-fat Tazo Chai” post, you won’t be the least bit surprised to see this on here. Seriously though, how is it possible not to get lost in that creamy, sweet n’ spicy goodness that Starbucks serves up for a mere fiver?
5. MOVIES – Whether it is at the theatre or at home, who doesn’t want to live vicariously through gorgeous celebs who all seem to find their happily ever after all in the span of two hours?